Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I made it!

...to the mall that is. I was mostly disappointed, but found one great item.

      First stop was the GAP...since TX, I've been thinking about those hip slung pants. I've always wanted a pair of cargo pants. Something relaxed, but not baggy, and still sat on my body properly. No luck. The GAP has a bunch of utility pants, cargo, khakis, et cetera, but nothing that fit! Case and point--



I think these are the ones I tried. They are the New Easy Straight pants. They were folded at the ankle in the store, so I'm going to assume these are it...if I'm wrong, someone please correct me! Before I go on, I have to mention that I opened the door on some guy in the fitting room. Good thing he was only changing his shirt. =/ The sales associate pointed me to a room, and I assumed it was empty. Yea, no. The guy didn't lock the door either. Smart. Anyways, it's always bad news when you can pull on the pants without unbuttoning them, which is what happened here. This is what they looked like:


Way too loose in the hip and thighs. They made my butt and hips look way wider than they actually are. And the odd tapering of the leg was ultra unflattering. Next!
 
    The hipslung pants that I've been thinking about:



As you can see...HUGE!! I tried playing around with it so that maybe I could get some sort of "relaxed" look, but even a little pulled up and with the bottoms folded under, it just wasn't going to work. GAP, you suck.

      The next stop was Ann Taylor. I picked up two items: a sheath dress and a what I think was supposed to be a pencil skirt, both in 0 Petite. The last time I tried on an Ann Taylor item, it was a sheath dress in 00 Petite and it was still so huge around the waist. I wasn't getting my hopes up with this dress.




This skirt actually had this cute ruffle slit in the back, which I thought was a cute touch. But putting it on, it wasn't so cute:



The front doesn't look at terrible as the back does, though it does still look very roomy across the hips and thighs. The rise was way too high for my liking. You can't even see my belly button. The back? AHHH! I'm not even sure what was going on there. 0 Petite? Seriously, Ann Taylor? The last picture is of me, pinning back with my hands. I didn't really think that this skirt was worth the cost of alterations. Next!



This dress looked really nice on the hanger, but on? Yikes!

                                                       
      I don't even know what to say about this. You can see me holding a lot of material on the side. The final picture is me pinning the dress back with my hand from behind. It looks a bit better there, but the alterations on this dress would be costly. It was just big all over, including the bust. The wrinkling in that area was atrocious. I quickly changed and left the store. That was not fun at all.

      I was most excited about going into Banana Republic. I've lived in the D.C. area for eight months, and it was just now that I'm realizing that the store doesn't carry petites. Great. I was determined to try on some stuff anyway. I couldn't find this top that I was talking about yesterday:




I did find these two dresses, however:




Neither of which came in petite sizes. Here are the IRL pics on the hanger:



The first dress is the Classic Sheath Dress which sells for $130 and made from 96% Wool, 4% Elastane. This is what it looked like on:


     
      It was a little big. The sizing itself wasn't terrible, especially for being a regular women's size 0. The shape itself however, was a little strange to me. I'm not sure if you can tell in the first picture, but I felt like it made my shoulders look very sloping. I was not a fan. The second picture was me pinning it from the back with my hand. Not bad. But still, I did not like the silhouette.  

      Lastly, the Lady Sheath Dress. This dress has a super stretchy material. Looking at it on the hanger, I was a little concerned it was going to give me the look of saddle bags by being way too wide around the thighs instead of being fitted, but I had to try it on anyway.  This is a picture of me in it pulled down all the way:



Size wise? There was no extra material to pin. It was actually *perfect* in that aspect (and this was a size 0, it also comes in a 00 according to the website).  The fit itself? It was a little awkward. The waist of the dress was right around my hips so it made for a strange fit around that area.  It looked all lumpy and bumpy. BUT...pulling the dress up to were the waist *should* be, I got this:



    It looked pretty smokin' in the fitting room, if I do say so myself (despite the wrinkling on top due to pulling it up). LOL. I did have to pull the dress up quite a bit though. Maybe about two inches? This is how much room I had in the shoulders when I pulled it up: 



    Yes, it was a lot. Luckily though, there is seaming across the waist, so alterations can be done to shorten the torso. How much? Erm, well, we're going to have to see about that. It doesn't seem too complicated, considering the seaming is already there. But the dress is very stretchy, so that might cause some problems. Overall though, I *love* this dress. This is definitely one of the smallest dresses I've seen BR carry in a while (with regards to width).I'm going to be stalking this dress until it goes on sale. 

    I went to J Crew right after, but you know...I never find anything I like in the B&M store. I like to look online and the catalog and order from there. The clothes look so much more appealing on models. In the store, they just look blah. Anyone else get this feeling with J Crew?

    The final stop was Club Monaco. I saw some great blouses, but I was getting way too thirsty and was ready to get out of there. They do have a lot of stuff on their sale rack though, so if you love CM, then it's a great time to go!

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

5 comments:

PetiteAsianGirl said...

I really like that black dress as well! The neckline is very flattering, but I'm not sure what type of alteration would be needed. Don't you hate it when you can't pinpoint exactly what's wrong with the fit? I've done that before, and ended up wasting money on alterations that didn't correct the problem. Hope that dress goes on sale soon!

Ms. Shopportunity said...

ITA with your assessment of stores.

I rarely can find anything at the GAP. EVER!

I find that Ann Taylor (which used to be my go-to store for professional clothing) has been unimpressive lately.

I never shop at J.Crew since they only have petites online. Whenever I go in the store, I'm always underwhelmed by the look of the clothes. They seem overpriced and quite dull style-wise.

BR is my only saving grace, and sometimes even it doesn't work. I think I tried on the exact same dress that you're considering tailor. When I had it pulled down correctly, the neckline stood out around my neck like a little box. I can't really describe it, but it was like a costume you'd expect to see in Star Wars(??). I didn't purchase it!

ch3r said...

PAG: I'm *hoping* all it needs is a shortening of the torso area. But you are right, it could be something else entirely that cannot be fixed. I hope that's not the case here. =(

ch3r said...

PAG: I'm *hoping* all it needs is a shortening of the torso area. But you are right, it could be something else entirely that cannot be fixed. I hope that's not the case here. =(

Ms. Shopportunity said...

ITA with your assessment of stores.

I rarely can find anything at the GAP. EVER!

I find that Ann Taylor (which used to be my go-to store for professional clothing) has been unimpressive lately.

I never shop at J.Crew since they only have petites online. Whenever I go in the store, I'm always underwhelmed by the look of the clothes. They seem overpriced and quite dull style-wise.

BR is my only saving grace, and sometimes even it doesn't work. I think I tried on the exact same dress that you're considering tailor. When I had it pulled down correctly, the neckline stood out around my neck like a little box. I can't really describe it, but it was like a costume you'd expect to see in Star Wars(??). I didn't purchase it!

Post a Comment