Friday, March 26, 2010

Ballet Flat Search

     Not only do I have a difficult time finding clothes, finding shoes is a nightmare. And not because my feet are small. Quite the contrary. I have size 6 feet, quite average...maybe even slightly large for my size (my friends who are about my size have size 5 feet). My problem? Hyper-sensitive, bony, and very narrow heels. Oh and how can I forget? My right foot is 1/2 a size smaller than my left which makes sizing even more difficult. Heel grips, moleskin, foot petal strips, sock liners, you name it, I have it. Just about every shoe or sandal cuts in, and rubs against my skin causing blisters, callouses, and open skin. Oh and the narrow heel problem makes finding pumps or ballet flats without a strap just about impossible! The only (affordable) brand that I can find that will stay on my feet (with a little help from foot petals) is Lauren by Ralph Lauren--my saving grace. Otherwise, I'm looking at Prada, Loubous, Jimmy Choos, etc. Sure my feet look nice, but my bank account does not. *sigh*. Since I have been working a little bit, I've found a need for a pair of comfortable flats that I can wear on the street walking from the D.C. Metro to the office. Not an easy feat. Ballet flats need to have that elastic heel, but a very soft one so that it won't cut into my boney ankles and heels. I already purchased these Me Too Legend ballet flats from Endless:


     Everyone always raves about how comfortable they are on other forums, so I figured, why not? They look super cute in the picture and they come in a ton of different colors (16 to be exact), so if these work, I can buy one in each color to match every outfit! 

      I opened the box in excitement. 

      They looked nice, and seemed pretty soft. But something was rather stiff about the elastic heel. I slipped the first flat on to my right foot, and.... I knew right away that they had to go back. =( I could already feel the digging into my ankles, and wearing them for long periods of time was not going to be pretty. They definitely had to go back. I brought them to UPS that same afternoon. I shoved them back into the box so quickly, I forgot to take a picture! I really should be used to having to return shoes because of discomfort, but it never fails, I always feel disappointed when a shoe doesn't work. If you have some not-so sensitive feet, I would definitely give the Me Too Legend Flats a try. Unfortunately, they just did not work for me.


     On Tuesday, the other two pairs of flats I ordered arrived in the mail. This is the first box:


       
      They are Me Too Lulu4 ballet flats in Pine Green. The first thing I thought when I pulled these shoes out of the box was: This flower is GIANT!! LOL. The shoes themselves also looked a little large which concerned me a little bit. I slipped them on and they fit really well! Lots of padding in the footbed. The right shoe was a little large, which was expected...but otherwise really great! The back of the heel was pinching just ever so slightly, but nothing a little Dr. Scholl's can't fix. Overall, I really liked these. But SO isn't so fond of them. HAHA. 


    This is what the little shoe tape looks like:






     I highly recommend this Dr. Scholl's tape. If there is a spot in your shoe that constantly rubs, then just put this little tape inside and it will solve the problem. It is thin, yet soft and cush-y. You can find it in the foot care aisle of your drugstore. I think I will have to place a heel grip in the right show to help it fit better, but that's no skin off my back.


       I put them aside and moved on to the next box, the Block Giselle Roll Up Flats. I purchased them from WinkNYC.com with their new customer code: CSS8 for 30% off.  They look super comfortable in the picture, and I've heard of women saying that they are super comfortable, and the nude-ish color (actual name of the color is "Cigar")? Perfect! So here they are:


  
So pretty!


      I was slightly taken aback when I first opened the box, but the moment I slipped them on, I was in LOVE. I can honestly say, that these are most comfortable flats I have ever put on. EVER. No digging. No pinching. Absolutely comfortable right out of the box. I didn't even have to slip on a sock liner. WOW. The Me Too Lulu flats do have more padding in the footbed, but these are still way more comfortable overall. I HIGHLY recommend these. They are TTS, but they fit like a true ballet slipper--very snug...but not uncomfortably so. If you like a little wiggle room in the toes or have a wider foot, you might consider going up half a size. These shoes are making me consider returning the Lulus and ordering another pair of Bloch since they are a more classic shoe, and probably will stand the test of time. The Lulus are a little bit more trendy, and with minimal income its probably best not to keep them. I'm about 80% sure I'm going to send them back. I'll have see if I can get another pair of Bloch flats first!








Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

8 comments:

Erin said...

OMG! I think I found my foot twin! I know exactly what you're talking about... narrow, bony, rubbing, etc. Do you get horrific blisters in random places too? Ah man. I'm going to have to try out these roll up flats! They look so cute on your feet too :)

Thank you so much for sharing!

Ms. Shopportunity said...

I have foot problems too, though I think mine are of a different sort. I have flat feet, and my lack of arches make it nearly impossible for me to wear any flat shoe. I haven't tried roll-up shoes before though, so I will have to experiment to see whether these shoes have the internal structure and support that my own feet can't give them.

I like the third pair. Can you get the third pair in black? Also, I'd definitely take back the second pair with the huge flower.

ch3r said...

Erin: Finally! Someone who knows what I'm talking about! I get cuts and bruises from straps on flip flops if they aren't soft enough! If you have any recs for shoes and sandals I'd love to hear them!

Ms Shopportunity: They Blochs do come in black, but the only place I can find them in stock in that particular style is on Zappos. And as much as I used to love Zappos, they don't do cashback or codes like other shoe websites do. They retail full price for $134 (although completely worth it, IMO). There are other styles that come in black, but I can't attest to those...yet. =)

You are right about the Me Toos. They're going back. I'd rather put the money towards another pair of Bloch flats.

diaryofashopper said...

You're my foot twin too! I have all those exact same shoe problems, including the super narrow heels. And I am a baby about uncomfortable shoes. I've been wanting to try Bloch for a while. So glad you reviewed it! I've been wearing Repettos which are very dreamy and comfortable, but a little overpriced. I am trying Bloch next!

Erin said...

haha! omg, I am so happy someone else gets cuts from flip flops! Does that make me a horrible person? I wear Emus (fake uggs) all winter and Rainbow sandals all summer :\ I've been on a quest to find some comfy heels and flats, but so far... not much luck. I'll be sure to report on it when I find something great though!

::Note to self: start saving up for some Bloch flats!::

diaryofashopper said...

You're my foot twin too! I have all those exact same shoe problems, including the super narrow heels. And I am a baby about uncomfortable shoes. I've been wanting to try Bloch for a while. So glad you reviewed it! I've been wearing Repettos which are very dreamy and comfortable, but a little overpriced. I am trying Bloch next!

Ms. Shopportunity said...

I have foot problems too, though I think mine are of a different sort. I have flat feet, and my lack of arches make it nearly impossible for me to wear any flat shoe. I haven't tried roll-up shoes before though, so I will have to experiment to see whether these shoes have the internal structure and support that my own feet can't give them.

I like the third pair. Can you get the third pair in black? Also, I'd definitely take back the second pair with the huge flower.

HannahFaid68 said...

Wow. Narrow heels. Is that why I keep walking out of my shoes??? I have all those same foot problems too. I have to have a ton of those heel liners on and I STILL walk out of them. Must have a strap. Flats not so bad. But pumps, nearly kill myself. Lol

Post a Comment