Friday, April 2, 2010

Fitting Room Finds!

    I had the day off today, so I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and walk around DC/VA--to shop, of course! What I initially wanted to do was go to Georgetown, but I think there is way too much temptation there, so I settled for going into the District where there is *only* an H&M and a Zara, and then proceeded to the  Pentagon City Fashion Center, so I could return that BR dress that is too expensive for my liking (but still very cute!).


    Apparently I wasn't the only who thought going to H&M today would be fun. The place was jam-packed! But apparently because of the Annual Cherry Blossom Festival, the Easter Weekend, and the amazing weather we're having, the National Mall had record numbers today...only behind the Obama inauguration! I was actually going to make a trip tomorrow to experience my very first Cherry Blossom Festival but now I'm a little scared! Haha.

    I spent quite a bit of time wandering around H&M and this is the first thing I tried on. I have this in dark grey already, but I thought the stripes was cute. This shirt comes in a multitude of colors now including red stripe. I believe it's $9.95. 




Next: 




I've been eying this jacket for a while, but never tried it on until now. I really liked it. I'm wearing it in a size 4, and it's pretty snug. The sleeves are also a little bit too long.  It is selling for $39.95 and also comes in black, army green, khaki, and I think, grey.




This dress I thought was so cute. But I just have nowhere to wear it. The other problem I had with it was the upper part of the dress:




I am wearing my bra under it as you can see. I might assume that you aren't supposed to wear one except that it hangs low on me so that if I didn't wear a bra or some sort of cami underneath, I'm sure I would be flashing people! Now I'm not sure if I have this problem because I'm petite, or the dress is poorly designed. If it wasn't for this *major* issue, I might have considered purchasing it. I suppose I could just wear a cami underneath. It retails for $39.95, and comes in other cute spring colors like coral and light pink. I tried it on in a size 4. I've learned my lesson, size 2 at H&M is just not going to fit. I already had trouble getting this dress over my shoulders. If I had tried on a 2, I'd probably have to wear the dress out of the store because I wouldn't be able to get it off!


I also tried on this little sweater:






      I really liked this as well, but I wasn't sure if I was actually going to wear it. Might be a cute cover-up at work or over a little dress in a contrasting color like pale pink. It was also a little pricier--$49.99.

     I ended up only getting a ruched cap-sleeve top, even after trying on a few dresses including one from the Garden Collection. I liked some of the things that I tried on, especially the navy jacket, but none of it was making me think that I absolutely *had* to have it.



     I also stepped into Zara, but to be honest, I'm not really a huge fan of the brand. Firstly, I much prefer their fall/winter collections over their spring/summer. Secondly, the fit is just so awkward on me. Thirdly, I have issues with their quality. A lot of people think that the quality between H&M and Zara are about the same, but from my own experience, H&M is a small step above and costs less, generally. And if you pay attention to the quality of your clothing, you know that can't be very good. I admit though, H&M has been pretty good lately for their trendy stuff. Their classic work attire collections, I still won't touch. I just prefer my work clothes to be of better quality so they last a long time. Of course, that also means more $$$. So if you are on a budget and aren't too concerned about quality, H&M should absolutely be a place you should check out. BTW, if you have kids or need to buy presents for other people's kids H&M has 20% off the kid's collections.


      Now back to the task at hand: 




This skirt was rather cute. I tried it on in a size XS. Good length--not too short. But not really my style though. I prefer pencil skirts. Most other styles, even with just the slightest "poof" make me feel uncomfortable.


Having said that, I also tried this on skirt on. HAHA:






A similar style to the cream one, just shorter and a bubble hem. I wasn't really a fan. Both skirts are selling for $39.90.


I've never tried on a boyfriend style blazer. At least not in my adult life. But I saw this great one at Zara. On the rack it had so much potential, but when I put it on it just looked awkward:




I guess that is what it's supposed to look like, except for the sleeves. They are a tad long. IDK, maybe it's just my personal preference, but I prefer short jackets. This blazer is selling for $79.90 and I'm wearing it in a 34.
      
     Afterwards, I went to the mall and I walked by Express and was suddenly captivated by the jewelry that the mannequins were wearing. I had to check it out. I totally fell in love with a ton of difference pieces, but they were way too expensive! They were having a BOGO 50% off, but single pieces were going for $30+! Aaahhh!


     One of my final stops was Club Monaco. As usual, I love everything, but just found myself browsing through the store with no desire to try anything on...until I found this cute pair of Ursula slim straight leg capris in 00. I'm generally not a fan of capris on short women. They have to be just the right length, or we start looking like midgets. But I decided to try these on anyway, thinking that I might be surprised. Admittedly, it's been over a year since I've put on a pair of CM bottoms. The last time I put them on, they were slightly too big around the hips, but still close enough that they could be altered to fit. Anyways, I decided to try these on. I really didn't expect CM to change their sizing, but they have! And they fit pretty great! Sorry about the socks:




      Now the length on these are ridiculous, I know.  This is the perfect example of capris making a woman look like a midget. They probably have a 26 or 27" inseam, but my legs look so much shorter. But let's try to ignore that part for now. LOL. They fit well across the hips and thighs, and were even a little snug on my the waist. Woohoo! I didn't like that these were such an awkward length, so I wasn't buying these, plus they didn't have 00 in any of the other colors that were there. I'm super excited right now. I almost went and tried on the full length pants, but I decided that it was probably better that I didn't, because if I loved them I was certainly going to buy them! The full length comes in black and a very nice dark khaki color. The capris come in black, light khaki (the ones I tried on), grey, and black with white pin-stripe. I didn't even look at the price, but I would assume $90+. Plus, if you have a student ID, you will get 20% off your entire purchase. Next time I go home to T.O. and come by a Club Monaco, I'm trying on all the pants! LOL.

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

4 comments:

PetiteAsianGirl said...

Really...20% off with a student ID? That's pretty great! Although I have never tried anything on there that fits - yet - I must be a half size smaller than you in bottoms or something.

I tried on that first zara skirt too ... the XS fit in the waist but like you said it was too puffy. No buy.

H&M was freakin packed today in NYC. I tried to check out their garden collection, but could hardly breathe in the crowd so I passed. I did see that striped shirt you tried on with the ruched shoulders, and like it a lot in dress form ($12 or $15, I think).

I'm taking so many fitting room pics now, at every store I shop at! Hope I don't get in trouble : D

N said...

Hi there! Love all your posted photos.

I have to agree w/ the poof skirt vs. the pencil skirts. They're a fun spring/summer investment but due to my height (5'3) I think I end up looking like a little girl...LOL

www.vanillalavenderdelights.blogspot.com

N said...

Hi there! Love all your posted photos.

I have to agree w/ the poof skirt vs. the pencil skirts. They're a fun spring/summer investment but due to my height (5'3) I think I end up looking like a little girl...LOL

www.vanillalavenderdelights.blogspot.com

PetiteAsianGirl said...

Really...20% off with a student ID? That's pretty great! Although I have never tried anything on there that fits - yet - I must be a half size smaller than you in bottoms or something.

I tried on that first zara skirt too ... the XS fit in the waist but like you said it was too puffy. No buy.

H&M was freakin packed today in NYC. I tried to check out their garden collection, but could hardly breathe in the crowd so I passed. I did see that striped shirt you tried on with the ruched shoulders, and like it a lot in dress form ($12 or $15, I think).

I'm taking so many fitting room pics now, at every store I shop at! Hope I don't get in trouble : D

Post a Comment