Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Shoe Deliberations

      The fact that I haven't been posting lately is a little misleading. I have been working 80+ hour weeks, but the shoe-buying has gone a little crazy, I'll admit. Part of the reason is that I shoe browse at work. LOL. So my thought process is: Buy now, think later...

   My first purchase was something that I had been thinking about a long time, and I finally broke down and ordered them:

  
The classic Converse, in Grey, of course. I love them. $36 from Shoes.com using a 20% off discount code. I didn't break the bank by any means. They look great with a bootcut jean for a casual look. I'm not really a fan of wearing them with skinny jeans; the look is a little too "skater"/hipster for my personal liking. As much as I love them as they are, I am considering turning them into these:

     
      These are from Shopbop, selling for $195! I was thinking of just buying some studs from eBay and make it a DIY project. Still thinking about it. BTW, I purchased them in a Men's 4/Women's 6. They have no arch support, so if you need a little support you'll have to buy some insoles.

      Summer is approaching, which means sandal shopping. As as I have made my readers well aware, just about everything cuts into my poor feet. I have been obsessed with some studded flat sandals lately, however. After some thinking, I did purchase these Dolce Vita Sandals in Taupe: 


      They are actually much grey-er looking than in this picture from Zappos. Oh how I loved them!....But they were huge! My regular shoe size is a 6, which meant I had to purchase a 5 in order for them to fit perfectly. Apparently, the smallest size this style comes in is a 6. =(

    I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I've been contemplating a pair of combat boots. I used to have a pair in my early teens that I loved. I never owned a pair of Doc Marten's even though I wanted a pair. I adore the look of combat boots with a pair of skinny jeans or looser straight legs. But I always thought that I couldn't justify the price of a good pair of boots, especially since I wasn't sure how often I would wear them. Problem solved! I found these Mia Bootcamp boots from Macy's on sale for $40 from $160!



      They run 1/2 size small, but they are totally awesome. I can't wait to try them out with some outfits. They even come with a leather sole. I thought they might be too clunky, especially for someone of my stature, but they are perfect. 

   I somehow got sucked into buying some Steve Madden shoes. I never buy Steve Madden. They look nice from afar, but up close, the quality is just not to my standards. The materials are hard and stiff, and usually synthetic (so non-breathable), and I tend to find that they run on the larger side. On a whim, I purchased this Steve Madden Spaced Sandal: 


I bought them because they kind of reminded me of these Antik Batik Tipi Thong sandals ($218 from Shopbop):



      

I would have bought the ABs but I was told they run big and they didn't come in a size 5. They SMs were actually quite pretty out of the box, but again, I wasn't crazy about the quality of the footbed. As you can tell in the picture they are hard and stiff. I wanted to like them, but when it comes to shoes quality is a big factor for me, especially when if it relates to comfort.

      I so badly want a pair of platform sandals, and to make the first SM purchase worthwhile, I also bought these Steve Madden Hailley in Black Leather. They looked great on ine...and even in these pictures that I took they look pretty nice. But IRL? The quality was just awful---everything I usually expect from Steve Madden. I'm not even sure I bothered to even put these on my feet. From far away, gorgeous...but the idea of having them on my feet for more than half an hour made me cringe at the anticipatedthe pain. I pulled them out of the box, took a few pics, and then put them right back to be shipped off. 



     As you all probably know, Ann Taylor was had a Friends & Family sale last week. I went a little crazy. (Pics of my purchases to come next week!). Besides a few tops for work, I ended up buying the Ann Taylor Perfect Leather Pump in Ground Pepper. On the website, the shoe tends to look very brown (at least on my monitor), but they are more of a grey taupey color. I've heard that these have a narrow heel, but I've never taken the time try them until a few days ago. I took a chance and asked the SA if the heel did actually run narrow, and she said that she thought so...and she went and pulled me out a pair. I slipped my foot in and I was in heaven. So comfortable! The problem? My smaller foot seemed way too small for the size 6. I looked down and saw the rather large gap between my heel and the back of the shoe and had to think really hard about it. Could I really fix this, so that it would fit? Then the SA told me they were on sale! $99 from $155, plus 30% off. Sold. LOL. I figured if I really couldn't make them work with some heel grips and some foot pads, I would just take them back. Unfortunately, when I took them home, I walked around in them with some heel grips in and decided that I couldn't get them to work for me. I was still walking out of them, which meant I definitely could not keep them. Here's a picture of how adorable they are:


  
      My last shoe arrival was the Nine West Rocha Pump. I have been wanting these for a long time, but either I couldn't afford them, or they were sold out in my size...until now! When I pulled these out of the box, I was in love. I'm not sure why, but didn't think I would like them. I think maybe because NW shoes sometimes has a tendency to look a little plastic-looking and crease  in weird places. But these...they had the perfect almond shaped toe, and a great platform that wasn't too high. Totally classic looking and even appropriate for the workplace. The question was whether I could get these to stay on my feet! It was close. I put in some heel pads, and an extra thick heel grip, walked back and forth in my room for about ten minutes. But sadly, I had to admit to myself that they didn't like me. =( They stayed on my heels for the most part, but every so often they slipped off. I could only imagine what would happen if my feet started to get all sweaty when I was walking down the street. My practical side told me that these had to go back to Macy's. What's a girl got to do to get some perfect platform pumps? These are $79 regular price, but I purchased them with an extra 20% off during the Macy's shoe sale.




      My temp project ends tomorrow after putting in some serious hours. So I will be back to posting more often! And now that I have a little $$ to spend, hopefully I'll some exciting stuff to post. I'll be going home to T.O. this weekend, so I might even have some H&M fun. =D

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

4 comments:

Erin said...

OMG you and I must be blister twins AND shoe style twins! I have been stalking the Rochas and those DV sandals too! I'm so glad you posted about them :) Now I know they probably won't work for me. I completely agree about Steve Madden too btw. I still wear their flats cause I got them on super sale, but the black ones I got maybe 4 months ago are already coming apart on the sole :(

Good luck at work! Glad you're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel :)

PetiteXXS said...

Wow that's some serious shoe shopping! I sometimes go on an online shoe binge too (usually when I'm stressed at work lol) but usually end up returning most of them because of sheer shoe fatigue when all the boxes show up!

I really wanted a pair of Converse too when I was younger, but kind of grew out of it since I don't get a chance to wear those kinds of shoes now that I'm out of school. I actually used to like Steve Madden but also grew out of that phase because I agree with you that their quality is iffy. Those Spaced Sandals do look cute though... too bad they're uncomfortable. I'm a newcomer to Ann Taylor shoes, bought my first pair of Sofia Peeptoe Pumps when they had the 40% off sale. I really like them but my heels do slip out in the size 5.5 so I need to test out some heel grips to see with they're keep-worthy.

Btw I share your pain about those 80-hr work weeks! I do my share of them on a fairly regular basis and they're NOT fun. But congrats on being done!

PetiteAsianGirl said...

Umm yea echoing what Erin was saying ... I have been eying many of those same shoes! Like four of them : )

So sad that the DV sandals don't come smaller than a 6. I would just love them to death. And when I read that you bought the Ann Taylor pumps in 6 ... I was thinking uh oh. THoes pumps run SO big! Compared to nine west, I would say their sizing is like a whole size off. I need a 5.5 in those pumps, but ended up getting sz 5 (5.5s were sold out) and I think we have the same foot size so I knew they wouldnt work on you. So sad, because the color you found looks lovely!

PetiteXXS said...

Wow that's some serious shoe shopping! I sometimes go on an online shoe binge too (usually when I'm stressed at work lol) but usually end up returning most of them because of sheer shoe fatigue when all the boxes show up!

I really wanted a pair of Converse too when I was younger, but kind of grew out of it since I don't get a chance to wear those kinds of shoes now that I'm out of school. I actually used to like Steve Madden but also grew out of that phase because I agree with you that their quality is iffy. Those Spaced Sandals do look cute though... too bad they're uncomfortable. I'm a newcomer to Ann Taylor shoes, bought my first pair of Sofia Peeptoe Pumps when they had the 40% off sale. I really like them but my heels do slip out in the size 5.5 so I need to test out some heel grips to see with they're keep-worthy.

Btw I share your pain about those 80-hr work weeks! I do my share of them on a fairly regular basis and they're NOT fun. But congrats on being done!

Post a Comment