Tuesday, September 14, 2010

EOTD: To belt or not to belt?

    It's been getting a bit cooler in D.C. this past week. And since I am working for the next short while, I thought I'd take the opportunity to wear my new GAP Really Skinny Pant. They are on sale in the store, BTW. $35 in the US for all their black pants. However, if you are petite, you might be pressing your luck for a size. Apparently any petite sizes we see in stores are a result of returns. Argh. So what does that mean? We petites, have to pay full price for our black pants? Boo. 


   Anyway, I had a bit of a dilemma as to how I was going to wear these Really Skinny Pants. I already had the idea of a tank under a cardigan with a pair of flats. But the question was, can/should I belt it? I've mentioned in previous posts, I generally don't like to belt things because I feel like it emphasizes my boy-ish figure, but I was tossing the idea back and forth in my head because belting cardigans and jackets is such a big styling trend right now. In the end, I went without the belt, but what do you ladies think? Should I have kept it? (Ack, noisy pics. Sorry, I was playing with the settings of my camera and the end result was noiser than I thought it was going to be).


Pants: GAP Really Skinny Pants (black, 00P).
Shoes: Matt Bernson Waverly Flats (Gunmetal Snake, size 6.5).
Top: Smart Set lace-trimmed cami (white, size XS).
Sweater: Ann Taylor Crewneck Cardigan (royal blue, size XS).
Purse: Rebecca Minkoff Morning After Bag (dark brown)
Belt: GAP Skinny Belt (flint grey, size S).

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

17 comments:

Erin said...

I'm not big into belting myself, but I don't think it emphasizes a boyish body at all! I actually admire those of you who can belt a cardigan because every time I try, I think it looks terrible on me!

So, long story short, I guess it depends on what you're going for - trendy/stylish or classic/semi-boring. :)

Erin said...

Oh, and I agree with you about the pants - why are short inseams so hard to find??? And totally unfair that certain sizes have to pay more.

Elle said...

I think this outfit looks better belted. I don't think belting necessarily exposes the shortcomings of "boyish" figures.

I also despise having to pay more just for shorter inseams...prejudice?

Hanna said...

Omg, what boyish figure??! The belted looks really great on you! Cute cardigan. =0D

Callandra said...

I really like it belted!....definitly adds visual interest, very cute.

PetiteXXS said...

I prefer the belted pic as well... I actually think it gives you a waistline instead! I also feel a little odd belting things, but I admit that outfits do look instantly more interesting/polished when I do. And those pants look amazing on you.

curls-and-pearls said...

I'm with Hanna - what boyish figure???

I prefer it open and belted like in the 2nd pic. And as PetiteXXS says, I think belts create waistlines!

Can you order petite sizes online for the same prices? I guess I didn't check the US site, but in Canada they are advertising all premium pants are $45(CAD).

Cee said...

I think the cardigan looks better on you belted. It doesn't emphasis your boyish figure at all! (Maybe I'm just not a fan of the buttoning 2 buttons on the unbelted version)

Rainy Days and Lattes said...

It looks great belted! So put together. It exudes femininity :)

littlenashua said...

I think it looks good belted. I have a similar cardigan that is slightly too big and when I belt it, it definitely transforms the look. I think belted makes you look taller and less overwhelmed by the sweater as well as more grown up. There is something childish about the no belted look. I think one of the things that sets apart childish dressing from adult style is the appropriate use of accessories, and in this case the belt makes the outfit look more adult and sophisticated.

AubreyOhDang! said...

unbelted needs a statement necklace or a long necklace; otherwise, go w/a belt.

stylepint said...

I like the belted look since the belt adds interest to the outfit and looks more put together. It doesn't emphasize your boyish figure, in fact, it gives you a waist!

I can rarely pull off the belted look because I move around so much it ends up backwards and lopsided at the end of the day. Kudos to those who can rock that trend! =)

Cher said...

Thanks ladies! I guess I'd better reconsider belting my outfits! And adding a necklace is a great idea. I just don't think of jewelry much when I wake up early in the morning. I usually put on a ring or two and head out the door!

20 York Street said...

Belted definitely! Though I gave one rule (please feel free to disagree), no belt and statement necjlace together! I feel it adds bulk!

stylepint said...

I like the belted look since the belt adds interest to the outfit and looks more put together. It doesn't emphasize your boyish figure, in fact, it gives you a waist!

I can rarely pull off the belted look because I move around so much it ends up backwards and lopsided at the end of the day. Kudos to those who can rock that trend! =)

littlenashua said...

I think it looks good belted. I have a similar cardigan that is slightly too big and when I belt it, it definitely transforms the look. I think belted makes you look taller and less overwhelmed by the sweater as well as more grown up. There is something childish about the no belted look. I think one of the things that sets apart childish dressing from adult style is the appropriate use of accessories, and in this case the belt makes the outfit look more adult and sophisticated.

Hanna said...

Omg, what boyish figure??! The belted looks really great on you! Cute cardigan. =0D

Post a Comment