Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Starting a New Trend?

     I saw something interesting when I was perusing the Jacob.ca website the other night (you may click to enlarge):

     I'm not one to complain about how magazines airbrush models and celebrities. I already know that it is unachievable "perfection" that they are showing on those magazine covers. I am also not one of those women who complain that designers don't use "real" women in their shows or ads. Heck, I like thin models because I *am* thin! I like to see how clothes would fit on a thin frame, though I can see the opposite side; I probably would have a different view of the matter if I had a different body shape. But having seen this blurb on the Jacob website, I think what they are doing is a wonderful idea. Even myself, being in my 30s, though I am much more comfortable with my body than I was in during my younger years, I admit that I am still sometimes influenced by those heavily touched up photos by aspiring to be the the perfectly toned model on the right. But let's be honest, most women don't look like that, even models (OK, Gisele Bundchen doesn't count). Number one, we should all aspire to be strong and healthy on the inside. It is OK to have physical goals (mine: flat abs! LOL), as long as they are realistic and attainable--we need to recognize that we can't fight genetics. Even if we are all perfectly healthy and strong in the inside, does that necessarily mean we will look like Gisele? No. Because we are all different (and she is a freak of nature). But we are all still beautiful despite not having the body of a supermodel. I applaud Jacob for taking the steps to help change the public mindset and promote the idea that we should not only be accepting, but proud of the body we were born with, and we shouldn't feel bad about not being spitting images of what is in the fashion magazines because what we see isn't real. We all need to be reminded of that every so often.

     Please remember: You *are* perfection!

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

5 comments:

Sara said...

This is great of them! I agree with your sentiment that you want to see women who are thin like you, but I think what gets taken too far is how they'll adjust things such as the shape of a knee to be more "slim" or "smooth" and that kind of obsession over the details is what drives a lot of young girls into deep issues with their bodies. I love that in the example the showed, the untouched image clearly shows that the model has somewhat knobby knees, her hips don't gently widen from her waist in some strangely perfect manner, and her collarbone sticks out sort of awkwardly. Those little details about people's bodies that make us unique should be embraced and not FIXED like they constantly do, because then we all get these complexes that our hips aren't right or our knees could be better or god knows what, and THAT is beyond ridiculous. Thanks for posting!! :)

Callandra said...

Interesting, I'll defintely check out their website!

Cee said...

Great post! Although I have to say Jacob's retouching isn't bad at all. Have you heard/seen the controversy over Ralph Lauren's ads? I remember at least two instances where the model in the Photoshopped version look completely unrealistic, ie super-narrow waist that nobody has.

Cee said...

Great post! Although I have to say Jacob's retouching isn't bad at all. Have you heard/seen the controversy over Ralph Lauren's ads? I remember at least two instances where the model in the Photoshopped version look completely unrealistic, ie super-narrow waist that nobody has.

Sara said...

This is great of them! I agree with your sentiment that you want to see women who are thin like you, but I think what gets taken too far is how they'll adjust things such as the shape of a knee to be more "slim" or "smooth" and that kind of obsession over the details is what drives a lot of young girls into deep issues with their bodies. I love that in the example the showed, the untouched image clearly shows that the model has somewhat knobby knees, her hips don't gently widen from her waist in some strangely perfect manner, and her collarbone sticks out sort of awkwardly. Those little details about people's bodies that make us unique should be embraced and not FIXED like they constantly do, because then we all get these complexes that our hips aren't right or our knees could be better or god knows what, and THAT is beyond ridiculous. Thanks for posting!! :)

Post a Comment