Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Review: Ann Taylor Petite Wool Doubleweave Skirt


     I'm back! I apologize. I know it's been a long time since I've had reviews/EOTDs. I went home a little early for the holidays and I managed to spend over two weeks with the SO! I haven't been able to do that in a long time. It was so hard to leave him behind again. But no matter how long I stay, when I pack to go home for the weekend/holidays, I really don't pack very fashionably, especially in the winter. Jeans, tights, t-shirts, and thick sweaters are all I care to shove into my suitcase. Not too blog-worthy. But I'm going to start off the New Year with some reviews! Was anyone else seriously overwhelmed by the amount of sales pre-Christmas? I didn't even have to wait until Boxing Day (Canada's version of Black Friday) to get some good deals. Somehow I managed to get through it all relatively unscathed. SO attributes it to self-discipline, I attribute it to being too slow because I'm sure I would have bought a ton of stuff if I had found them in my size. =/ I admit, however, a part of me didn't feel like spending money unless I was absolutely compelled to buy it.


      A few months ago, I saw this pencil skirt on the AT website:



    Ann Taylor Petite Double Weave Skirt in Maraschino Red. I decided that I just *had* to have it--just not for the $108 it was selling for. Oddly enough, even though it comes in petite sizes, it never showed up under the petite section of the website. What I had to do was search for it on the "regular" size skirt section and then select "petites". This skirt finally went on sale just before Christmas with an extra 40% off. At that point I couldn't resist, even if I did have to pay for shipping. 

   I purchased this in 00P and I was absolutely certain this was going to fit:



     ??? This skirt was so tight. You can see the pulling all around the hips and thighs. I could barely zip it up all the way. I was able to zip it up with some effort, but I couldn't breathe that well and I had some serious muffin-top. I don't know about you, but I do actually like to fully inhale when I breathe. At first, I thought maybe it was just because I had just eaten a Big Mac and I was still carrying a lot of the holiday water weight, but I took a measuring tape to it:


The waist barely hits 24 inches! If you take a look at my measurements, my waist measures 25 inches (24.5 inches on a good day). Whether I was bloated or not, this skirt is much too small. I'm quite sad about it. It is the perfect color red, and a great length. I also loved the soft wool material and that it is actually lined:


     If you're tiny and in the market for a red skirt, see if you can track this skirt down. It's definitely worth a shot. I'm going to see if I can find this skirt in a 0P in my local AT. 

     Could it be that AT is finally listening, and realizing that its vanity-sizing is out of control?? 

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

12 comments:

Vicky said...

It's funny to see 2 reviews of the same skirt on the same day. :) Elle from fast food and fashion review it as well, and it seems to fit her perfectly. http://fastfoodandfastfashion.blogspot.com/2011/01/sartorial-bucket-list-4-perfect-red.html
I really like the look and the color of this pencil skirt. Maybe you can size up?

Vicky's Daily Fashion

Cher said...

Haha. That is pretty funny. Elle does have a smaller waist than I do, though. That's probably why it fits her better. I'm just "thick" around the mid-section, unfortunately, because I'm so short-waisted. =/

AubreyOhDang! said...

i love how the model wears it w/subtle polka dot tights.

kileen said...

wow, AT really is making smaller sizes. i love the red color and the fact that it's fully lined. i'll have to see if i can track this down in the store!

cuteandlittle.com

littlenashua said...

Funny. I bought the LOFT wool military skirt in 0P and it was way too big for my 25.5" waist - it hung around my hip bones, it was so big. I didn't even bother trying a 00P because I doubted the waist size would drop that much. I did not measure it but it had to have been at least 27.5" for it to sit that low on me.

I wish there was some consistency, I love Ann Taylor and LOFT but I am terrified of trying any bottoms after my first and only purchase online.

Elle said...

I meant to comment earlier Cher but blogger was weird all morning, I think the color of this skirt is rather flattering on our skin tone and I hope you can find it in 0p. I am sure there will be pop backs online (there usually is after a big sale like the 40% off). I think AT sizing of late has been smaller than usual...the two skirts I picked up in the last sale were similar to this red one (slightly longer and maybe a 1/4-1/2 inch bigger...this red one was rather snug on me around the hip).

It looks terrific on you though, this red skirt is a must have! :)

curls-and-pearls said...

Wow that is tiny! I would probably have to size up 2 sizes! Looks fantastic on you I love shade of red!

The Little Dust Princess said...

I love this colour! You can find pencil skirts of all colours from American Apparel. You should check them out! :D

Happy new year : )

P.S. Did you know you have word verification on?

xx The Little Dust Princess

valuevillageandgoodwill said...

Great post and skirt. You can't go wrong with something as classic as that.

PetiteXXS said...

I really wanted to try this skirt after seeing it on Elle and on you, but sadly there was no 00P left on the AT site by the time I checked. I'm glad they're starting to size down a little bit though!

Anonymous said...

I'd been eyeing this skirt for a while but wasn't motivated to get it until I saw this post--thanks!
FYI: I saw the skirt at a store, but not in the size I wanted (00P). I brought it to the register and they searched all the stores in the country--and made a few calls--until they found one. I had to pay for shipping, but at $42, it was totally worth it. Looks like a good option if there's ever a size you really want but it's not online or at your local store.

Cher said...

Haha. That is pretty funny. Elle does have a smaller waist than I do, though. That's probably why it fits her better. I'm just "thick" around the mid-section, unfortunately, because I'm so short-waisted. =/

Post a Comment