Monday, January 31, 2011

Review: Banana Republic Maria Lace-Trimmed Sheath Dress

    Truthfully, I'm not really liking what I've been seeing for spring on Banana Republic thus far. Everything seems kind of bland and unappealing. When I think of spring and summer, I think of strong, bright colors, and lots of it! BR tends to lack in this department season after season. I don't mind neutrals but pastels and pale tones don't ignite my fire. Last Tuesday, BR was offering 35% off their entire website and so I tried to find something that I really wanted to try. It happened to be black. Maria Lace-Trimmed Sheath Dress in 00P:



     When I pulled it out of the bag, I was pretty surprised by it's material. I guess when I purchased it, I didn't really pay attention to it's make-up. It's actually 74% rayon, 22% nylon, and 4% spandex. The material is thick and soft, like a scuba material. I rushed to put it on, but there was a small issue. I could not get the zipper above the waist detail. Part of the problem was that the waist is pretty snug on me, but also that it was just the detail was just making the zipper difficult to pull up through it and I had no one to help me. I thought I was going to break the zipper, but then I decided after some serious tugging (at least I know it's made well) that I should just twist the dress around and pull the zipper up and then turn it around again once I had it over the waist detail. That finally worked but not until after I started to sweat a bit.


     It's pretty, with very nice lace details and a defined waist, it's actually extremely flattering, but the lace deep-v neck certainly doesn't make it very work appropriate. Here are the details up close:


      I would definitely have to put a cami or something underneath it. In fact, if you weren't careful, you'd expose yourself if you twisted your body is just the wrong way. Definitely needs some fashion tape to keep it secure to the body. The length is perfect, right to the knee and the straps are perfectly placed so that no bra straps would peek out. I really thought about keeping this, but to be honest, I'm not even sure where I would wear it. What do you ladies think?

    See it on Jeanie of Extra Petite, who is a little bit smaller than I am, here.

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

8 comments:

Michelle said...

The fit is great...and that lace trim is gorgeous! You are right...the waist detail is amazing!

Do you see yourself wearing it out at least once a month for cocktails/dinner? It is such a neutral color, you can have so much fun with accessorizng.

April said...

The dress looks amazing on you! WOW!

Callandra said...

Dag Cher!...This dress is so fierce on you!! So, I would add a black long sleeve bodysuit underneath and top with a tan jacket if I wanted to wear it conservatively to work.....for a little more casual....denim shirt over the top of the dress, topped with a camel colored sweater, belted with an animal print belt and gray suede pumps....whew! I'm thinking I should get this dress .....I could seriously go on and on!

AubreyOhDang! said...

on you cher, this looks killer!

PetiteLittleGirl said...

Love this dress on you. The fit is perfect. All you need is a cami underneath for work.

Lisa said...

That dress looks KILLA on you! You totally rock in the LBD. btw, I'm hosting a $100 Shopbop giveaway on my blog, come check it out some time.

Lisa said...

That dress looks KILLA on you! You totally rock in the LBD. btw, I'm hosting a $100 Shopbop giveaway on my blog, come check it out some time.

April said...

The dress looks amazing on you! WOW!

Post a Comment