Monday, February 7, 2011

Spotted at Work.

     Do you ever notice on petite blogs that trousers are rarely ever shown? I've always wondered about that. But I think that it just may be that when you are very small, flattering trousers can be just so difficult to find, especially when on a budget. I love trousers though. The perfectly tailored trouser is so chic and looks perfectly put together with a simple blouse and a great pair of heels. I would so much rather wear a pair of trousers instead of a skirt, especially in the winter. In fact, I had resolved to wearing only pants to work for the rest of my life...until I moved to D.C. and realized it was just way too humid to do so and that I should just take advantage of the fact that I'm a girl and expose as much of my skin as possible while still being conservative. I do love a simple blouse and a classic tailored trouser, though:


Top: Ann Taylor Dotted Blouse (Navy/White, size 0P).
Bottoms: Talula Babiton by Aritzia Trousers (Black, size 0).
Shoes: Lauren by Ralph Lauren Amaya Pump (Black, size 6).
Necklace: Target.


     This shopping the closet idea is pretty difficult. I still find myself reaching for my newest pieces. I think on day I'm going to do an inventory of my closet and put my thinking cap on and see what I can come up with. This is going to be somewhat of a "fashion on a budget" blog for the next little while. Or at least I'm going to try. On top of my minimalist style, I hope it doesn't start to bore you. I know readers love to see new pieces when reading blogs. I know I do! But unfortunately, until I find that elusive first job (which is hopefully soon), shopping needs to be kept at an absolute minimum. Do you have any tips on how to incorporate older pieces that you love (but no longer wear) into your current outfit rotation?

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

9 comments:

Victoria said...

You look like coming out from CSI.

AubreyOhDang! said...

I wish I can wear trousers all the time, but you're right. It's hard to get the perfect fit. i definitely don't look as good in mine as you do here.

Stylepint said...

I love trousers and I'd wear pants all the time! To me, it's way more comfortable. You look great and well put together in that outfit! I'd much rather see how people style their outfits than just new clothes in general because for new clothes...I'd window shop at the stores instead of reading blogs.

Btw, I'm tackling the 30 for 30 challenge, so I'm not shopping either and it's the start of the 2nd month of my shopping ban. It's not so difficult and since I already love a lot of things in my closet, I don't feel the need for new things all the time. As nice as that is...it definitely makes me spend more time putting together my outfits! =)

Callandra said...

Funny! While reading your post I was thinking of Jess and how much she loves trousers...then I scrolled down to comment and it turns out she has already told you how much shc love them! hee
I love them too as a matter of fact! I think they are universally flattering on women (much like wrap dresses). I am always inspired to see clothing items creatively styled more than once by the way.

Michelle said...

I love that Ann Taylor top! And those trousers look amazing on you!

True about trousers...rarely worn by me because it is tough for me to find a pair that does not need alterations

Fun accessores and belts help to liven up old clothes for me. I make more of an effort now to look at the accessories when a store is having a big sale, so I have been able to add a lot more decent quality pieces for super cheap. For example, chunky $10 J. Crew bracelet instead of $40. If a store is having a free shipping deal, browse their accessories to see if there are any heavily discounted accessories.

littlenashua said...

I shop my closet a lot (I also shop thrift stores a lot but I only started doing that when I started working again recently, so I can understand the self imposed shopping ban).

I usually buy fashion magazines once every 3 months, right at the start of the major seasons (September, Feb/March, and then one late spring/early summer issue). I use those to get inspiration and then I spend several hours on a Sunday going through my closet and trying on outfits to recreate looks I see in the magazines (I also use J.Crew catalogs and the LOFT Looks we Love page for inspiration). Then I write down all of the successful combinations and refer back to it in the morning when I need to pick out something to wear. I have to use weather as a guideline for picking outfits, so I try to always put together something that I can wear in crappy weather (which is all we really have been getting here, lately). I also rely on accessories (cheap scarves, jewelry, and colored tights) that I get at thrift stores and discount stores to liven up outfits.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog.

I love minimalist style! I love trousers! I work in law, too, and also my office has business casual, so I enjoy seeing conservative outfits. I look forward to seeing you work your closet.

Michelle said...

I love that Ann Taylor top! And those trousers look amazing on you!

True about trousers...rarely worn by me because it is tough for me to find a pair that does not need alterations

Fun accessores and belts help to liven up old clothes for me. I make more of an effort now to look at the accessories when a store is having a big sale, so I have been able to add a lot more decent quality pieces for super cheap. For example, chunky $10 J. Crew bracelet instead of $40. If a store is having a free shipping deal, browse their accessories to see if there are any heavily discounted accessories.

AubreyOhDang! said...

I wish I can wear trousers all the time, but you're right. It's hard to get the perfect fit. i definitely don't look as good in mine as you do here.

Post a Comment