Monday, March 28, 2011

Review: Eight Sixty Silk Top

      I found myself a GAP G&G code that worked at Piperlime. This always give me a reason to break my shopping ban/budget. But this time around, I really struggled with finding something to buy. I suppose part of the reason is that Piperlime's style tends to be very "boho-chic" / Rachel Zoe-style, and as much as I can appreciate that kind of hippie-inspired look, I'm not often drawn to those types of pieces and they limited versatility in my wardrobe.  The other reason is that since I actually have set a tight budget this month, I didn't feel like I could justify the things I really *did* want. I finally settled on two tops and a pair of sandals (that are on back order until April). I'm going to review the tops separately so you ladies have something to look forward to in the next few days. Ha Ha.


    The first item I purchased was this Silk Top by Eight Sixty in Chateau Grey, size XS:



      I saw so much potential in this top because I could wear it either with a pair of flares, or wear it to work, tucked into a skirt or trousers. I pulled it out of the box and my first thought was, "Oh. It's purple." A very pale purple, but it was definitely purple. Silly me. I thought it would be grey, which would be more versatile with my wardrobe. Even if they were going for "french grey", this isn't quite what I was expecting. I could possibly overlook this if the fit was right. When I was ready to put it on, I realized that it had no buttons or zipper. I guess I assumed that it would given the placket and seaming down the front. Well, OK, that's fine too, I suppose. Now, if a brand isn't vanity-sized, I can generally fit into a regular XS on top (as opposed to a XSP or XXS). I'm really surprised (and disappointed) if it doesn't. And, this time, I was surprised:




     Holy boxy fit. The top was just wide all over. I tried even tucking it in a bit to try and make it work, but it wasn't having it.



    Here are the measurements:

          Shoulder to bottom hem: 23.5"
          Armit to armpit: 19.25"
          Shoulder to shoulder: 16.0"
          Total width of bottom hem: 20.25"

   It's regular price is $90, on sale for $58.99 plus 30% G&G and an insignificant amount of cashback. Even for ~$41, I couldn't justify it given that I would have to have this tailored.


     Verdict? Return.


     P.S. I have a surprise! Come back in a few days to see what it is!

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

4 comments:

PetiteLittleGirl said...

I agree with you, this is a return for sure. The top is so boxy on you. I am looking forward to your surprise :)

Really Petite said...

Def return! I have one dress from this brand but it fit really nicely. This hides your cute frame:)

curls-and-pearls said...

Yes return. Not flattering. Can't wait to see what the surprise is!

curls-and-pearls said...

Yes return. Not flattering. Can't wait to see what the surprise is!

Post a Comment