Thursday, December 29, 2011

Review: J.Crew No.2 Pencil Skirt in Double Serge Cotton

    Sometimes I purchase things online just for the sake of making the minimum purchase amount for free shipping without the intention of keeping that extra item (I'm not the only one who does that, right?). I do my best to try to pick something that I'm sure that I won't keep, but sometimes I will order something still peaks my interest even though I have every intention of returning it. In this case, it was the J.Crew No.2 Pencil Skirt in Double-Serge Cotton. I read that this skirt ran larger than the Double-Serge Wool, and since the Double-Serge Wool skirt is just a touch too wide for me in hips, I was sure it was going to go back. I did however, wanted to "play" with it, especially after seeing how unique the color was in store. It completely caught me (and my bank account) off guard when it actually fit! I guess this season's version was re-sized to fit smaller.  I was doing so well with the no-buy thing this month until J.Crew started having 30% off sales. J.Crew has had my number in recent weeks. I've also been so impressed with their customer service lately as well. It shipped same day with free 2-day shipping (without me even asking for it!), which for me, means that it arrived the very next day. Wow.



     It appears to be really well-made. The cotton is very thick, and the construction is sturdy. It fits well in the waist and hips as well--better than my double serge wool skirt from last year (I'm wearing it in 00P above). It has two besom (welt) pockets in the back, but no side pockets. It also has no lining, but the cotton is so thick that it doesn't need it. And the color? YUUMMM . If I had any complaints it would be that it is a bit too short, but it seems that I have that complaint about all petite bottoms. I considered taking down the hem myself, but upon inspecting it closely, the hem is sewn so tight that it is definitely going to be a pain to let down myself. I don't think I can return this skirt because I'm so in love with it already, but I did re-order it in a 00R hoping that it somehow fits the same as the 00P just with a little extra length. I also noticed today that there are new colors on the website including an amazing jade green:



  Definitely on my spring wish list. 


   What do you ladies think of the skirt in citron?


  P.S. Possibly no posts until a few weeks into the new year. Don't be alarmed if I'm a little quiet for the next little while!


UPDATE: Comparison of the 00P and the 00R:




     It's doesn't look like much of a difference in the photo but,





     The 00R is just a few inches wider than the 00P.  There is quite a bit of extra length which I love, but not enough to ignore the fact that the 00P fits almost perfectly around the hip and waist. I'll be sticking with the 00P.

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

18 comments:

Amber said...

that skirt is amazing on you! i'll need to give it a try! such pretty colors

Kerry said...

I have an older version of the cotton double serge skirt in 00P that I threw in the washing machine and dryer and it shrunk to a perfect fit on me. I'm not sure what year mine is from (I bought it from a blogsale) but it's a nice midnight blueish/teal color and I love it. I want more of them but the price is soooo steep.

Jarucha said...

I am more drawn to the jade color more than the citron. Maybe its because I prefer a softer yellow. I just wish it wasn't "dry clean" for cotton. I got the paisley print pencil skirt and its lovely....now I'm eyeing the leopard print one, did you try it? And yes, I add stuff to get free shipping, its hard when I wish JCrew would offer free shipping at a lower price point.

Cher said...

I'm the opposite, i prefer I bright bold yellow. Soft colors don't go well with my skintone so it's always the bolder the better! I ordered the leopard print, it should be there when I get back to DC, but I think it might have to go back if I want to buy that green one. LOL. We'll see how much I love it. 

I actually didn't even consider dry cleaning it. It's cotton. As long as it's not put in the dryer, I don't see how there should be a problem right?

Aubrey Dang said...

question: does it wrinkle easily or is the cotton thick enough that it doesn't?

SS said...

You look really good on that yellow! I would like to have that skirt a little longer since it is really 'pencil skirt' but in my opinion, still that length is acceptable. Hope 00R is just longer not loose on you.
Hope You have a happy new year!

Jarucha said...

Haha, I stopped myself when JCrew was offering 20% off sale items and now I'm waiting for the next sale to come along. And I think even some fabrics can't be machine washed due to the nature of how its made, what does it say on the tag? If it does not have to be dry clean, I'm taking the plunge and ordering one.

Cher said...

haha. it says dry clean, but there is no way i'm dry cleaning it. It looks sturdy enough to be thrown in the washer in a garment bag and hung to dry. It's definitely not delicately made (surprisingly).

Cher said...

it wrinkles a bit. The material is 95% cotton and 5% spandex. You cannot throw it in a pile of clothes and expect it to be wrinkle free, but it's not terrible either.

TOBeautyReviews said...

Cher that skirt is gorgeous! The colour is beautiful and I think it fits you well.  I don't think it's too short at all! Perhaps it is for your conservative work environment but definitely not scandalous in my opinion.

PetiteAsianGirl said...

I love the color on you and especially the way you have it paired with classic stripes. My friend has this skirt in a few colors and the only downside (as I see you've mentioned already to Aubrey) is that it wrinkles quite a bit. After a long day of sitting, she stands up and I can see deep creases across the hips and also behind the butt.

Ronald Belgrave said...

I love the citron!  It looks very stylish.  The green would like average but the citron is an eyecatcher.

Cee said...

I've seen this color in stores and didn't like it. The way it looks in your modeling photos is how I wish the color looked in real life! I'm glad to hear J.Crew's changed their sizing from last year -- time for me to pay them a visit :)

Cher said...

You know what? I saw it in the store too and I didn't really like it either. It seemed kind of green? But I ordered it anyway and I find it doesn't actually look like that in natural light. The newest photos where I'm comparing the two is probably the most accurate. Not greenish but I bold yellow, which I love.

Cee said...

Hmm... Cher, you might have just enabled me to place an online order to try out at home ;) I think your modeling pics is still my favorite shade but I do like the bright gold version in the comparison photos. Decisions, decisions!

Really Petite said...

Drool. Love the color and the jade green- hope you get that too. I wish the 00P's fit me...tried the vintage tweed in 00p and it was a total fail.

Shopi Efaroh said...

Intersting and beautiful blog lovely presentation thanks for sharing your views.Made in the processor of your energy and effort for a celebration last few days, using my tried & trued Burda 8155. Second time using a covered back vent out and am completely passionate to them. And to this happy shade pairing of blue-green fleece coat and violet coating.I determined to sew this outfit monthly and 50 % ago after purchasing natural rayon clothing at Jo Ann’s. pencil skirt You could not go incorrect here: the clothing was available.The design is based on  the common pad outfit. I used the outfit from the wear McCall’s design M5972. First, I followed the unique design to the magazine, then noticeable the yoke, cut the newspaper and shut darts. Ready!My greatest error was that I created yoke too long.  Although it installed me very well the prejudice check design created me look expecting. To fix it I had to decrease it by 5 cm (2 inches). I had to cut off the extra clothing since I did not had enough to just simply to make a new part. Thus my outfit came out reduced than I initially designed.

Jen C said...

Thank you for the review!! :)

Post a Comment