I know in my first DIM skirt unveiling, I said I would try something easier, but I went ahead and tried another pencil skirt, but this time with a side slit.
What do you think? The material is 100% cotton, so it doesn't drape as well as I'd like (it crinkles at my every twist and turn). It took me a few weekends, but only because I didn't have an invisible zipper to match the fabric. In the end, I think it was a blessing in disguise. I was dying to work on it so I spent a lot of time perfecting the details and the fit waiting for the zipper to come. It turned out pretty well. Check out the cute little grosgrain ribbon in the inside:
The fitting process was...I don't want to say difficult, but it was very time consuming and took a long time to get just right. What may have helped me was my previous knowledge on fit since for so many years I've studied, analyzed and picked apart clothes trying to figure what needed to happen to get them fit my petite body perfectly.
For this skirt, I followed a pattern, and as much as I tried to alter the pattern itself before actually cutting, the fact that I'm petite and the pattern was not, turned the process into a whole new ballgame. With my initial changes, theoretically the skirt should have fit. In reality, it did not. Regular-sized sewing patterns (like many ready-to-wear clothes) are definitely made for women with hips, thighs and a butt, all of which I do not have. It was a lot of sewing, adjusting, sewing, adjusting, sewing, and adjusting. The fit turned out a lot better than I expected, however. The biggest mistake I made was shortening it too much when cutting the fabric, not sure how that happened. So instead of a 2" hem, it was more of a .75" hem with an added a polka dot grosgrain ribbon for binding to make it pretty. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. For the next skirt, I will attempt to add a lining. Stay tuned.