Thursday, June 28, 2012

Petite Fashion Challenge #17: Candy Colorized



   I'm back, finally! And I decided that my returning post was going to be a PFC, my first in a long time. I finished my exams last week, but TBH, I haven't fully recovered and I'm still trying to find a groove into life without studying. Thank you for your patience. I haven't done much shopping over the past month with the exception of some activewear, and I've been feeling a bit uninspired, so I decided to take this challenge to try and get me going. 


 The challenge is hosted by Sew Petite Gal:
The Challenge: Candy Colorized 
Take a bowl full of colorful candies (M&Ms, Jolly Ranchers, jelly beans, etc.), close your eyes, and draw 2-3 pieces.  Now use those colors (+ a neutral of your choosing) to form the basis for your ensemble. 
**Extra brownie points if you post more than 1 colorful ensemble or if you add a DIY element (because I love DIYs so much!) :D**   
    When I'm in a style rut, sometimes I try to put together outfits that make me feel uncomfortable to try and push me out of that proverbial "box", so for this PFC, that is what I tried to do. You'll see in a moment what I mean. 


    Here is my bowl of candy. I decided to use some M&Ms. I was going to use some Smarties because they have more colors, but I forgot to buy some when I was Toronto, and they don't sell them in the U.S:



    There are the two colors I ended up choosing:




    And the outfit (I apologize if the photos look strange, both my iPhoto and my Pixelmator are giving me issues right now, so much for upgrading):


Blazer: H&M Collarless Blazer (Yellow, size 4) (similar here).
Skirt: Theory Larryn Skirt (Black, size XS) (similar here and here).
Tank: GAP Stripe Tank (Black/white, size XS) (similar here and here).
Shoes: Pour La Victiore Mai Wedge (Cobalt Blue Suede, size 6).
Belt: Viktor Sabo Leather Obi Belt (Black, O/S) (similar here).
Bracelet: Material Girl and Forever21 (Gold) (similar here).
Ring: Forever21 (Gold).
Clutch: Botkier Charlotte Clutch (Black) (similar here and here).


     If you've followed my blog for a while, you can guess what it is about this outfit that makes me uncomfortable. LOL. And yes, I cheated and put the color on my feet just so I could use the skirt and these shoes that I'm currently obsessed with.


      The blazer is the one non-gym-wear clothing items that I purchased this month. It comes with a ruched sleeve, but ruched sleeves on blazers bug me, so I took it upon myself to do some DIY-ing and cut out the elastic and pressed out the wrinkles. Does this get me some brownie points?!?:


     Before:




     After: 




     The end result is bracelet-length sleeves, which is fine for a spring/summer blazer. I may decide to let them out a bit more using the technique I used here.


     Check out what the other petites came up at Sew Petite Gal's blog!

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

24 comments:

Stylish Petite said...

hahahah we have the same blazer! I may be in the minority but I prefer the sleeves scrunched. It saves me from having to push up my sleeves. Great job Cher!

Girlie Blogger said...

The blazer is certainly interesting. Never seen a scrunched sleeve before. Super cute color though.

Petite Therapy said...

Great job with the DIY! I totally would have done the same...if I knew how! Love the color combinations. You matched those M&Ms to the T. =)

SewPetiteGal said...

I officially award you brownie points :)  I love the yellow with the bright splash of blue!  I'm guessing when you say "Smarties", you're not talking about the little sweet / tart candies they have here in the US? http://www.smarties.com/product/smarties/

Michelle said...

Gorgeous!! Great job altering the jacket! :)

New Petite said...

Love the colors and you look lovely! I would have done the same thing with the blazer! 

noniq said...

Awesome! Along with DIY, I really like your every pick, just great !

Richlpgirl said...

i love the yellow! i may drop into HM after work today ;)

want to follow each otherr?? xxo!

Cher said...

Heh, YAY! Canadian Smarties are little chocolate pieces similar to M&Ms. 

Donnalyn@Squigglesss said...

love the blue and yellow combination :)

Joanna said...

Great job on finding a way around the ruched sleeves! I can't believe that the US doesn't have Smarties!

http://www.xjole.com

roe said...

yes! love the blue shoes! the outfit looks great :D

Amy (what im lovinglately) said...

Lovely outfit, I especially like the pop of colbalt!  I don't like ruched sleeves either so good for you for altering.  Have a great weekend :)

TOBeautyReviews said...

Yay Cher you did a PFC! I think the blazer looks way better without the ruching, nice job! And damn those shoes are gorgeous, love this whole outfit!

Kathleen Lisson said...

Love the pop of color from the shoes.

Lisa Ng said...

I
think you look great in color! Great color picks with yellow and blue. I love
the color in the shoes and clutch. And awesome on the DIY letting the ruching
out. I saw the jacket on Stylish Petite and Extra Petite, though Jean didn't
like the ruching. Maybe she'll consider letting it out after seeing your final
product. Great idea for lengthening the sleeves! So crafty! I'm sure you'll get
those brownie points! Welcome back from exams!

Cee said...

Welcome back, Cher! I'm crossing my fingers for hopefully positive exam results soon.

Did you use peanut M&M's? How come there are no brown ones? I'm just curious because Elle ate all of her red ones, haha. So wondering if the brown ones met the same fate.

I never get tired of seeing your cobalt wedges. The color is so saturated and gorgeous. And paired with yellow? A gorgeous combination.

Cher said...

Baha. They are peanut M&Ms but I didn't eat the brown ones, that's just how they came out of the bag. I even purchased the two-serving bag by accident. Weird, huh? So many yellow ones, I knew for sure I was going to end up having to pair yellow with something.

 I also hope for some positive exam results, I really dont want to have to write those exams again!

Fashion Blawger said...

I'm glad to see you pop back into my updates! I ope to see you post more often again bc I love your personal style! Love the DIY too, thanks for sharing. -One of my candy picks was yellow too, I hope you check out my entry. I chose 4 colors plus a neutral! ;)

A Preponderance of Fashion

witheachpassingday said...

Yellow seems to be the popular color among the PFC participates. The PFC was also my first post after taking a break from the blogging world. Welcome back. The color combs is great. Good job on the DIY.  

Abbigayle Rashae said...

You look beautiful dear! Love this look on you(:

Mind checking out my lifestyle blog True Blue Abbi?
It'd be great if you could publicly follow if you like it!

-XO Abbigayle Rashae
-trueblueabbi.blogspot.com

SS_littleflowers said...

Your blazer and shoes are so beautiful. This outfit is really you!

Eliz said...

Your shoes make this outfit...they are great...I need to find myself blue heels!

PetiteintheCity said...

You totally get brownie points!!  Sometimes I see blazers I like but once I find the ruched sleeves I put it back on the rack.  I'll have to try your trick sometime!  I was gonna use Smarties too but saw the mini-eggs instead and bought them, but mini-eggs were a worst option, only 4 colours in the whole pack!

Great job on the challenge!

Post a Comment