Sunday, July 8, 2012

IDIM: Pant dying.

      FAIL. *slaps palm to forehead*


      My white Ann Taylor Double Weave Cropped Pants (that I managed to ruin before being worn):



      After being dyed with RIT (Cool Red #121--1/2 bottle Cherry Red, 1/2 bottle Cocoa Brown, 1 cup salt, and ~5.5L of hot water), which was supposed to end up like this:






   Turned out like this:




  Now it's...mauve??? =( Not even close to what it was intended to be. UGH. There was far too much polyester content in these pants for the color to take properly. When I read the bottle cautioning that it wasn't great for 100% poly, I knew that there might be a problem. I crossed my fingers and hoped that it had enough cotton in it since these pants are 40% poly and 60% cotton. I even ended up dumping in the entire bottle of cherry red, but it seemed the pants were as saturated as it was going to get. And to add insult to injury, the rust stains that I was trying to cover up looks worse. I'm not really sure what to do now. My dad suggested I make them black or navy, but I'm not even sure that it will take that color well either. It might turn out some gross greyish brown color. Argh. These pants are turning out to be too much work. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

10 comments:

Girlie Blogger said...

I think you did a good job dyeing. The mauve color is so pretty.
 

SS_littleflowers said...

Sorry to hear that... I'm not dying expert, but how about trying another brand & similar color? Might work..

Little Nashua said...

It won't take any dye - synthetics simply don't absorb dye. Synthetic fabrics are colored because the fibers that are woven to make the fabric are made in a color, unlike natural fibers which start out life white and are dyed for the desired color. I hate to say it but these are not going to be anything else.  Have you tried soaking in bleach? You might get them back to white and that may remove the rust stains.

Cher said...

I figured that more dye won't fix it. The fabric content didn't even occur to me when I decided to dye it. And when I read the bottle, I didn't really have a choice but to go ahead and hope for the best because I did try and bleach and also use rust remover solution. No go. =(

Keilexandra said...

Where are the rust stains, on the pants? If they're lower on the leg, you could try bleaching back to white and then chopping off into a shorter length capri/short.

Cher said...

They are on the lower leg. For one last attempt, I guess I will try and bleach them out and make them into shorts. I've been looking for white shorts anyway. =/

LittleRus said...

You can definitely wear them with white heels or wedges, cream or white cardi with a thin belt and you will look great (just think softer side of pin-up trend or sweet 1950s)! Plus they definitely fit in this pastel trend that's so on right now, you can't go wrong. xxx

Lisa Ng said...

Sorry about dyeing woes! Sry I can't help :(

Dayami Rabassa said...

I suggest cutting and making them shorts, I think the color is perfect for summer and you'll get rid off the rust stains... 

Crmesko said...

Shorts!!

Post a Comment