Saturday, July 14, 2012

Review: J.Crew Viv Printed Flats.

  I've been wanting to try these J.Crew Viv flats for a LONG time. I just couldn't bring myself to bite the bullet at full price ($188). I really wanted the Wild Mushroom (nude), but of course, they sold out in my size before I could get my hands on them. So I settled for these cool snake-print flats instead:




    If you recall, I have slightly narrow feet with very narrow heels, so it is difficult for me to find flats that will stay on my feet without walking out of them. I don't seem to have this problem with the J.Crew shoes I've tried on in store, so I really wanted to see if these flats would work for me (they are only available online). They were on sale last weekend for $129.99 plus an extra 30% off so I could not resist despite trying to keep a low shopping budget this month. I saw a few reviews online, and I was trying to gauge if I *really* needed to size up a half size as the website suggested. I think every review I read said that I should go up half a size (Annie from StylishPetite also said she went with a 5.5 for her size 5 feet), but because my feet are a bit narrow, sometimes I can ignore recommendations to take a larger size.


     Upon inspection...


  
   
....apparently, I can't read. I thought these shoes were leather, but actually they are made of linen. I guess that's what they meant by "printed". Kind of a deal-breaker right there, but I'll go on to review the rest of the shoe.


Fit: These Viv flats actually do stay on my feet as I walk. It was not much of a surprise  since all other J.Crew shoes seem to fit me well. The shoes are narrow as I think most J.Crew shoes are, but I did not find them so narrow that I had to go up half a size. Size 6 (my regular shoe size) fit fine...maybe *borderline* small. If these were leather, I would expect these to stretch out and mold to my feet. Someone with medium width or wide feet would need to size up half a size at least.


Comfort: These are pretty comfortable. There is a decent amount of padding under the feet. The edges were maybe a bit sharp for my sensitive feet, but they are fine. Since they are narrow, someone with wider feet may find them a bit uncomfortable, especially near the toe box where the shoe starts to narrow into a point.


Quality: Good quality shoe. Every J.Crew shoe I've looked at are of great quality, and these were no different. I would expect these to last a long time with regular wear. The soles do appear to be leather.


Look: These flats actually look really nice. It took me a moment to realize that the upper wasn't leather. Obviously when I touched it, the fact that it was a rough material gave it away. The toe came to a good point (not too pointy). I think they would look cute with a pair of skinny pants or a skirt.


Verdict: I did think long and hard about keeping them since it isn't often I find flats that stay on my feet, but I need to be a bit more strict with my spending these days, and despite the good quality, I don't like the fact that they are linen. Overall, it is a nice shoe and if I could be a little more free with my spending I might have actually kept these, but since I can't--return.

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

5 comments:

Lisa Ng said...

These are so cute! Love the print. Too bad they aren't leather. For $130 I think they should be.

Girlie Blogger said...

Oh these are gorgeous.
Beauty, Fashion and Seattle

Brian said...

Cute flats and the price was right but it is too bad they are not leather :(   On a good note you know how they fit and what size you need so the next time a deal comes around there will be no hesitation.  

Cher said...

Yes, you are right! I'm hoping to find a leather pair on eBay in my size. But I was totally disappointed that these weren't leather. =(

Cher said...

I thought so too! $188 full price for linen? Ack.

Post a Comment