Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Reviews: Ann Taylor Resort Shorts and Sheath Dress

   Ever since I spotted these shorts on the Ann Taylor website, I began to stalk them until I could find a good sale. I love the color, and I'm in desperate need of another pair of shorts--my denim shorts have been pleading for some rest. I also really wanted one in a loose, drapey fabric that I could dress up or down and these totally fit the bill. Of course, they sold out before I could get my hands on my size. However, when Ann Taylor had their Semi-Annual Sale, these shorts popped up again in 00P and I grabbed them even though I had sworn to myself that I wasn't going to make any purchases for the rest of the month (which was two days away).




     Sorry about these photos. I was having one of those bad photo-taking days where not a single picture came out right:



     These shorts did not disappoint. The color is a stunning jade green, and they fit great, though maybe a touch too high in the rise for my personal preference (I'm wearing 00P). They are a tiny bit snug in the waist, although, I tried them on after a full meal. Someone with a smaller waist than my own will not have this problem. I love that the belt is removable and that it actually has belt loops. Many shorts these days made with this kind of loose drapey material tend to have an elastic waist of which I'm not a fan. It is made of 90% polyester and 10% spandex. Total keeper.


    Measurements of these resort shorts in 00P are: 25.5" waist, 8.5" rise, ~3.5" rise, 36" hip. They're a loose, drapey style so this last measurement shouldn't matter too much. For reference, my hip measurement is 32.75" and they don't look big from behind.


     The other items I purchased to hit my free shipping quota were these two shift dresses:



     They are exactly the same dress in different colors/patterns. I've been wanting a shift dress for a while, but it's not often I can find a good petite-fitting shift dress, and my dress purchases are pretty few and far-between--if I had a choice, I would almost always choose something else over a dress. But I decided to give this a go since I could not find much else on the AT website that I was interested in. The grid printed one was on sale for $49.99:


     
     The material is a thick jersey and lined on top. It's a bit too boxy over all for my tastes, but nothing a little nipping in at the waist can't fix (I'm wearing it in XXSP). I also find it a touch long for a shift dress. It hits me at the knee, but I would prefer that it hit me where it does on the models above (a few inches above the knee), otherwise I feel like I'm wearing a potato sack. 


     I was a little on the fence about keeping this dress initially, but I started playing around with it and I really started to like its versatility, so I think I'm going to keep it and have it shortened an inch or so (I don't trust myself to do alterations with knits yet). The other dress in Intense Orchid fits exactly the same in every way (no photos), but it wasn't on sale, so it is going back (buy the Intense Orchid version here, the Grid pattern sheath is OOS).


     I also wanted this dress in Mystical Ivy, but again, could not snag it in my size:

Buy it here.


         Anyone grab anything they love during the Ann Taylor sale?

Tweet This ! Facebook Send An Email ! Stumble Pin It

7 comments:

Aubrey Dang said...

good, i love the shorts.

so i usually look at pix, then go back & read.  i agree this dress is long.  esp for a boxy cut.  are u going to attempt "DIM" nipping in at the waist or wear w/a belt? 

Jenny said...

I love Ann Taylor!  Those shorts and that dress look fabulous on you!  

<3 Jennywww.crazystylelove.com

Joanna said...

Wow, those shorts are a beauty. The fit is amazing. It doesn't look like the colour is true to what is shown in the stock photo, but I think I like your photos a lot better! The grid pattern dress is a very interesting print, but it is a bit too boxy for you. You should consider getting it slimmed so that you wouldn't always have to wear it with a belt!

http://www.xjole.com

Cher said...

Well, I tried slimming it myself first. But I had no clue how to work with knits yet. So it didn't work out so well. LOL. But then I read a book a few nights ago, so I'm going to try it again, and if it doesn't work I'll have someone else do it. The dress would be way more versatile if I could wear it both with and without a belt.

Cher said...

I agree, I think I have to slim it a little bit. I'm going to attempt to do it myself first (second try, the first try was a fail), and if it doesn't work out, I'll take it to my tailor.

witheachpassingday said...

The short were definitively worth stalking. I agreed that the dress it boxy but it is a fun print. 

Lisa Ng said...

Great color shorts!

Post a Comment