My ultimate goal is to have a versatile and quality wardrobe without spending a fortune. I'm not going to lie. It is a challenge because I do tend to like more mid-range and higher-end items not only for the quality, but because they also have a tendency to fit better on a petite body due to less vanity-sizing. I also have no qualms about investing/splurging on items that I feel will stand the test of time both with respect to style and quality.
My moto: Quality and fit over quantity. But Vivenne Westwood probably said it better: Buy less, choose well, make it last.
1. Theory Lanai Tailor Blazer in Black, ~$250:
2. J.Crew Factory Flower Fringe Necklace, $25.50:
3. J.Crew Factory Polka-dot Popover in Ivory, $48.65:
1. Ariztia Ellis Pant in Wild Indigo, $107.35 including tax:
2. J.Crew Tipped Boy Shirt in Black Alabaster, ~$83:
Total for April, thus far: ~$244.
I decided to take on a 5-item Challenge for the months of January, February, and March. This challenge allows me to buy only 5 items for the next three months including accessories, but not including necessities like underwear and socks and items purchased with gift cards. I am also giving myself a $20/month allowance for accessories. There is no price limit, but I obviously want to do the best I can in the savings department. This will hopefully cut down on my spending for the next three months while putting a lot of thought into my purchases focusing on needs vs. wants and paying close attention to the quality of items. Will I make it? I hope so. This is definitely going to be interesting.
1. Wilfred by Aritzia Exquis Jacket in Lake, $85.60 including tax:
2. H&M Collarless blazer in black, $90.34 including tax.
3. Club Monaco Emily Pant in Black Cherry, $153.23 including tax:
4. Loeffler Randall Matilde Boots in Black, ~$275:
5. Zara Dress with Cape Sleeves in Yellow, $90.29 including tax:
6. Aldo Chism Wedge Sneaker in Black, $77.75:
7. Ann Taylor Pleated V-neck Wrap Top in Black, $19:
8. Ann Taylor Crepe Scalloped Hem Top in Lemon Fizz, $29.40:
Items purchased with rewards cards:
Gap Mini Skimmer in Khaki, purchased with GAP rewards:
Ann Taylor Pleated V-neck top in Hickory (different color than shown below):
Challenge, unsuccessful. Eight items purchased plus two with rewards cards. I spent a total of $820.31 over three months for an average of $273.44 per month.